Saturday 9 July 2011

Summer returns

When I woke my head was pounding, but since Rosa and Josef were in no hurry for me to leave, I could sleep a few more hours in the bed they had provided me. Later had a big breakfast and coffee and then set off.


Today while underway I met a Polish family that is coming to the conclusion of a nine-month bike tour. The couple left Poland in autumn of last year with two children, now aged 6 and 3. They left Poland, headed south and arrived in southern Italy for the winter, then up to France, a big tour around France and now heading down the Danube to a final destination of Vienna. The 3 year old daughter rides in a trailer behind the father’s bike and the young boy rides his own bike. 35 kms per day, and in the afternoon they set up camp in the fields or forest, cook and have a good time.  The father speaks English very well and teaches the kids every day so that they can also communicate in the various countries that they visit. Little Jan was very keen to practice his English with me. Chapeau.





Otherwise it was a relatively quiet day with great weather. I slept that night in a field just outside of Günzburg, which is a beautiful town. The temperature is again summer-like and I could sleep outside without a tent. Cooked tortellini and drank very bad red wine while watching the sun set. The photos turned out well, the food too. It was a warm night and I slept soundly, the only thing occasionally waking me being the screeching of some kind of animal, which I think was an owl.  










No comments:

Post a Comment