Sunday 22 March 2020

Day 8.....

According to the initial government decree, next Sunday is the end of the quarantine. It is highly doubtful, probably almost impossible, that it will end then. Even from the beginning the 15-day period seemed arbitrary. As if telling us 30 days would have put us in a panic and telling us a week would have seemed ridiculous from the start. Today is Sunday and the weekends are more challenging. At least during the week my daughter has classes online and my work continues as normal. She attends a private school in Marbella that follows an English curriculum and sees her dressing like the characters from a Harry Potter film each morning. It is a wonderful school and I am very happy to pay the significant monthly fees. 

I find that attending a different sort of school, one in which the children are treated in a particular manner, not in the main stream fashion is an essential investment. Public schools, in my eyes, are there to fulfil the basic requirements and build a certain foundation for the everyman. The likelihood of rising to greater heights from being among the everyman exists, but it is a harder climb. With additional attention and dedication and better content, I feel that a child is already cognisant that he or she is beyond the masses and can build a greater course of life upon that. This has nothing to do with the level of work that one must invest and the effort to succeed, that is the same regardless of where one finds himself, at any age. My belief is more about starting from a higher point. The effort is the same and the struggle are the same, but if my daughter can start already higher up the mountain and spare herself part of the lower level struggle, then this is what is my responsibility to do. She should start where I can put her, on my shoulders so to speak, rather than at the ground level. 

My work is helping me through this time as well. As a lawyer in the software industry I have been working on a remote-work basis for more than six years. Supporting offices around the world, some that I attend on occasion but most that I handle via phone and internet, nothing really changes for me. In a perfect world I look forward to Mondays and now just as much, or even more. I remember all too well hearing my father say every Friday, 'TGIF' -thank god it is Friday, after another week of suffering at work he hated. What a sad state of life. Tragic. I can only thank the universe that I don't have to live that way. I thank the universe and I also thank the circumstances that caused me to break out of that mould and move on to a life based upon self-confidence and self-belief and achievement. Those are the qualities that saved me from the path of misery that I was on for so many years. 

The sun is shining. I have opened the terraces and the patio, put them in order, turned on cafe tunes and plan the day. The CFA 3 exam, scheduled for June, was cancelled this week and now I have much more time on my hands. Studying was consuming two hours per day and I was already way ahead of the preparation curve. Now I will scale back, hit it for one hour per day and be very prepared for the exam in December. The materials are brilliant and learning them is a pleasure. Being a CFA charterholder won't change my work very much, but in the future it could be useful. 

Again, the sun is shining, we still have food and water and electricity and the internet. So far so good. I suspect those things will become harder to have in the near future. Let's hope that we manage. Dreaming of grill parties in Figino this summer.....

No comments:

Post a Comment